Wednesday, June 15, 2011

YA Lit on the Radio!

UPDATE: Thanks to one of our many crooked Boston politicians getting sentenced today (lookin' at you, DiMasi!) the YA segment has been pushed to Friday! Tune in Friday at 3pm!


You can listen live at 3pm on 90.9 in Boston or streaming via RadioBoston.org. It'll be up as a podcast after 5pm!

My husband is a reporter for Boston's NPR station. I'm always giving him story ideas, almost none of which he takes (mostly because they consist of "oh oh! Can you invite Ben Affleck into the studio? And then can I come by? I dunno, something about Boston movies or something...")

But today, he's actually featuring a segment on his show, Radio Boston, that I SUGGESTED! They're going to discuss YA lit (in particular, the #YAsaves controversy). Lauren McLeod, lit agent with the Strothman Agency, will be on to talk about the popularity of YA and social media, and the teen librarian from Brookline Public Library will be stopping by too (she'll be recommending some awesome YA summer reads!).

While he prepared the segment, I gave him a few great passages from some of my favorite YA authors (John Green, duh! Also Megan McCafferty, Maureen Johnson, and Sarah Ockler) and helped him better understand the genre ... which resulted in this little exchange:

Him: Should I quote a passage from a male YA author? That doesn't seem illustrative of the genre ...
Me: Stop trying to put YA lit in a pretty little box!!!! Ugh!!!!! *stomps feet, pulls hair, gnashes teeth*

(oh, he learned! now he definitely knows better...)

You can listen live at 3pm on 90.9 in Boston or streaming via RadioBoston.org. It'll be up as a podcast after 5pm!

I'll be spending my morning at the office picnic, but I'll definitely be running out the door in time to hear the segment!

No comments: