Monday, April 25, 2011

Things That Are Awesome Dot Com

Ten Things I Hate About You
(the TV show)

When I first heard they were making this show, I'm pretty sure I gagged. 10 Things I Hate About You is THE CLASSIC teen movie of my generation (Class of 2001 HOLLA!). I've watched it more times that I can remember. I can probably quote the whole movie. Not to mention the fact that it's the film that launched Heath Ledger into the dreams of a million teenage girls.

But this weekend, I was in the mood to burn off about ten thousand brain cells by streaming something off Netflix, and this was the winner. It might actually fall into the awesomely bad category ... it's campy, it's cheesy, it's completely over-the-top. And yet I couldn't stop watching. I can't even begin to explain why... ok, I'm pretty sure the reason I watched the entire season in a weekend was due to this guy:


Ethan Peck as Patrick Verona (Heath Ledger's original role). Yummy, right? Fun fact: He's Gregory "Atticus Finch" Peck's grandson. I definitely see a resemblance. I wish there were more seasons just so I can watch him give steely eyes to Kat Stratford. Also, the final shot of the first season (which turned out to be the series finale) had me screaming OMG WTF THAT'S IT?!?!?!?! at my computer.

Even though the TV show is slightly hokey, it did inspire me to go back and watch the original again. Now that truly is awesome.com.


Heath Ledger? Joseph Gordon Levitt? Julia Stiles? Not to mention a truly awesome 90s soundtrack with lots of tunes provided by one of my all-time favorite bands, Letters to Cleo... And then theres lines like these:

Dad: Hello Katarina. Make anyone cry today?
Kat: Sadly, no. But it's only 4:30

***

Chastity: I know you can be overwhelmed, and you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed?
Bianca: I think you can in Europe. 

***

Ms. Perky: So I hear you were terrorizing Mr. Morgan's class ... again.
Kat: Expressing my opinion is not a terrorist action.
Ms. Perky: The way you expressed your opinion to Bobby Ridgeway? By the way, his testicle retrieval operation went quite well, in case you were interested.
Kat: I still maintain he kicked himself in the balls.




Spring! (for the next few days, at least)


Because New England winters are so long and arduous, when hints of spring finally start coming, it truly is an awesome feeling (and folks down south who have been experiencing spring since February? Yeah, keep your mouth shut lest I smack you with my snow shovel...). Yesterday was one of the first truly warm days of the year ... of course it was followed by cool, gray mist. Gross. But spring is coming, I can feel it! Soon I'll be able to take my laptop down to the Esplanade and write overlooking the Charles River. There's really nothing better.  I even got my sassy bike shined and tuned up at the shop, all ready for when the sun finally comes for good.*


How can things not be awesome when I'm tooling around Cambridge on my pretty little bike?

*In New England, we could still be months away from spring... summer 2009 the highs were in the 50s and it rained every single day throughout June. Do you know how depressing it is to wear a coat in JUNE?!

No comments: