Thursday, March 24, 2011

I got the call on Thursday night. Laura from Paper Lanter Lit had some news for me...

 *This post was written on November 4, 2010 and originally appeared on my old blog

“So we accepted an offer from Wendy Loggia. She’s a totally amazing editor and she loved it. We got a two-book deal, and why are you so quiet right now?”

Well, mostly because I was standing in the middle of my bedroom, pacing back and forth trying to figure out what to do with myself. I felt like I was going to scream, cry, and wet my pants all the same time. “I don’t know what to do with my self!” is what I think I ended up saying before dissolving into giggles (I tend to laugh like a mental patient when I get excited…). We chatted a bit more before she sent me off to tell some people (but not the Internet, because I had to wait until the official announcement) and have a little toast.

After the call, I walked into the kitchen, where Adam was making dinner. “They sold it to—” was about as far as I got before he hugged me and my laughter turned to joyful sobs. I felt everything you can feel when your childhood dream has come true. I still can hardly believe it’s real.

The best part is that I had to pull myself together in about 15 minutes because I had a VERY IMPORTANT meeting for roller derby. I managed to dry my tears and make my way to Cambridge Common to meet up with some fellow skaters (and yes, I totally spilled the beans, but I made them swear not to post it on the Internet!). On the way home I picked up a $3 mini bottle of champagne, then pulled out the Tiffany champagne flutes that my grandmother got us for our wedding (which we keep stored in that gorgeous blue box). The champagne tasted about as good as $3 champagne should taste, but I figure some day I’ll be able to splurge on something a little nicer. Right now I’m still a starving artist (ha ha)!

I still can’t believe I’m actually writing a blog post about getting that amazing call. Some day it’ll feel real (I tell ya, all the congrats via Facebook and Twitter are helping me get there!), but right now I still feel kind of floaty. Can’t celebrate for too long, though. There’s lots of work ahead of me. The deal is just the beginning!

No comments: